Our legal fees for Wills & Probate work are competitive. They are calculated on an hourly basis at the following rates: -
|Position of Solicitor||Rates per hour|
|Partners||£325 to £375 + VAT (£390 to 450 incl. VAT)|
|Solicitors||£250.00 + VAT (£300.00 incl. VAT)|
|Paralegals, Legal Assistants and Trainee Solicitors||£200.00 + VAT (£240.00 incl. VAT)|
We will provide you with an overall fee estimate at the start of your matter and shall keep you updated throughout.
Wills pricing information
For a basic Will our charges are normally fixed at £450 plus VAT (£540 including VAT).
For basic joint mirror Wills our charges are normally fixed at £600 plus VAT (£720 including VAT).
For a complex Will our charges are charged on an hourly rate. Our fees normally range between £750-£1,500 plus VAT (£900 -£1,800 including VAT) and depends on the time it takes to complete.
The above fees include taking instructions, advising (including basic IHT advice), drafting the Will, amending as necessary and witnessing the execution of the Will.
Probate pricing information
Our fees for acting on obtaining a grant of probate and administering a straightforward (uncontested) UK based estate varies. Total costs are likely to range from £3,500 to £14,000 plus VAT (£4,200 - £16,800 including VAT).
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and 1 property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, properties and multiple bank accounts, the costs will be at the higher end.
Example fee for Probate work estimated at the lower end of the range: £3,500 plus VAT (£4,200 including VAT).
This quote is for estates where:
- There is one executor appointed
- There is a valid will;
- There is no more than one property;
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts;
- There are no intangible assets such as no copyright and trademarks
- There are 1-2 beneficiaries;
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on the division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs; and
- There are no claims made against the estate
- All assets are in the UK
Disbursements payable in addition to our fees:
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- Probate application fee of £155.00;
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2.00 per beneficiary);
- £84.60 plus VAT for a post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors; and
- £185.00 plus VAT for a post in a local newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims.
Potential additional costs
If there is no will or the estate consists of any shareholdings (stocks and bonds) there is likely to be additional costs that could vary significantly depending on the estate and how it is to be dealt with.
We can give you a more accurate quote once we have more information.
Dealing with the sale or transfer of any property in the estate is not included.
Any post death variations will also carry an additional charge.
Other potential additional costs payable in addition to our fees (if required):
- Valuation fees
- Translation costs
- Overseas lawyer’s fees
How long will this take?
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 12 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 2-6 months. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 2-3 months. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 2-3 months.
Breakdown of costs:
- Legal fees £3,500;
- VAT on legal fees £700.00;
- Probate court fee of £155.00 and £0.50 for any additional sealed copies;
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary when required);
- £84.60 plus VAT post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors. (If applicable and required); and
- £185.00 plus VAT post in a local newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims. (If applicable and required).
As part of our fee we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter;
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries;
- Identify the type of Probate application you will require;
- Obtain the relevant documents required to apply for Probate;
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms;
- Draft a statement of truth;
- File the application with the Probate Registry on your behalf;
- Obtain the grant and securely send copies to you;
- Prepare final estate accounts and
- Distribute the assets.